- 3-hour walking tour of Avignon and the Pope’s Palace
- Explore the heart of medieval Avignon, home to the Papacy in the 14th century
- Wander the medieval streets with an expert guide and soak up the atmosphere in this UNESCO-listed city
- Take in panoramic views of Avignon and the Rhône River from the top of the fortified city walls
- Enjoy skip-the-line access to the Pope’s Palace — during high season, waiting times can be upward of 30 minutes
- Admire 19th-century architecture in Avignon’s town square, the Place de l’Horloge
Departure & Return
Meet your guide at our office A La Française Provence located 4 rue de la république 84000 Avignon.
What To Expect
Follow medieval streets and alleys, and climb to the top of the city’s famous ramparts – medieval constructions that were restored in the 19th century. From atop the ancient walls, enjoy sweeping vistas of the Avignon city and the rushing Rhône River.
Next, head to Popes’ Palace, the world’s largest Gothic palace and a UNESCO-listed site, where you’ll have skip-the-line access to tour the building’s impressive interior. Learn about medieval life in the palace and explore galleries, fresco-adorned chapels, papal apartments and grand ceremonial rooms.
Finish your excursion with a visit to the Place de l’Horloge (Clock Tower Square), the main square in the heart of town from which the clock is – ironically – hardly visible. However, you’ll view the beautiful opera theater and city hall before heading to a historic local bar for a glass of Côtes du Rhône wine.
Your walking tour ends in central Avignon in the afternoon.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not suitable for children under 4 years old
- There are a series of steps to climb to reach the Pope's Palace
- Anyone under 18 will not be served wine at the end of the tour
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- May be operated by a multi-lingual guide.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- 4 persons minimum to guarantee the departure
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- OPERATED BY Provence Reservation
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- "The tour was a steep climb for old people initially, so a better way of getting to the Pope’s Palace should be considered." See review