Museum Moderner Kunst Stiftung Ludwig Wien (MUMOK)
With its vast collection of classical modernism, nouveau realism, Vienna Actionism, photorealism, and pop art, MUMOK is one of the top art museums in Vienna. Visit as part of a hop-on-hop-off bus tour or with a sightseeing Flexi Pass or MuseumsQuartier Duo Entrance Ticket and explore the permanent collection and rotating temporary exhibits in the striking dark basalt building in the MuseumsQuartier at your own pace, lingering in the sections that interest you most.
Things to know before you go
- With pieces by blockbuster artists like Paul Klee, René Magritte, and Max Ernst, MUMOK is a must for fans of modern art.
- Some temporary exhibits by provocative contemporary artists may not be suitable for children, so confirm in advance.
- The museum offers free one-hour guided tours in English on specific days of the week; check the museum website for information.
- There is a small café for drinks and snacks and a gift shop inside the museum.
- MUMOK is fully accessible to wheelchairs.
How to get there
MUMOK is located in the heart of the MuseumsQuartier at Museumsplatz 1. Take metro line U2 to the MuseumsQuartier or Volkstheater stop, or U3 to the Volkstheater stop. The museum is located adjacent to a number of Vienna’s top art and history museums, so can easily be combined with a visit to Kunsthalle Wien, the Leopold Museum, or Architekturzentrum Wien.
When to get there
The museum is open daily, with extended hours into the evening on Thursdays. Hour-long guided tours are offered on specific days of the week; these tours do not need to be booked in advance.
Special Programs and Events at MUMOK
There are a number of special programs and events offered through MUMOK, including the museum’s Wednesday evening film program that screens thematic film series and films related to the works of art on display. Visitors inspired by the art on display have the chance to participate in hands-on workshops to experiment with various artistic techniques. Once a month, Art on Thursdays invites guests to enjoy a glass of sparkling wine before taking a gallery tour.
- Museum Quarter (MuseumsQuartier)
- Kunsthalle Wien Museumsquartier
- Leopold Museum
- Natural History Museum Vienna (Naturhistorisches Museum Wien)
- Maria Theresa Square (Maria Theresien Platz)
- Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien (Museum of Fine Arts)
- Temple of Theseus
- Heroes’ Square (Heldenplatz)
- Austrian Parliament Building
- Palais Auersperg
- Neue Burg
- Academy of Fine Arts Vienna (Akademie der Bildende Künste Wien)
- Vienna Boys Choir (Wiener Sängerknaben)