Venice Music Museum (Museo della Musica)
Visitors can learn more about Venice’s most famous composer, Antonio Vivaldi, and gain insight into the city's violin-making legacy, but the most compelling aspect of this free museum are the instruments themselves, dating from the 17th to the 19th century. The collection includes a wide variety of string instruments, including violins, cellos, and harps, with highlights including a 19th-century lyre and an exquisite mandolin inlaid with mother-of-pearl. True lovers of classical music can combine a tour of this small museum with an evening concert in the nearby Church of San Vidal by the Interpreti Veneziani ensemble, which performs works by famous Italian and German baroque composers.
Things to Know Before You Go
This specialty museum is one of the best in the city of Venice and especially worth a stop for musicians and music lovers.
The Music Museum is not accessible to wheelchairs and strollers.
Wear comfortable shoes and clothing if visiting as part of a walking tour.
Photography without flash is allowed inside the museum, though much of the collection is stored in glass cases so not easy to photograph.
How to Get There
The Music Museum (Museo della Musica) is located inside the Chiesa di San Maurizio (Church of San Maurizio) on Campo San Maurizio, a short walk from Piazza San Marco.
When to Get There
If visiting in the popular summer months, you can duck into the Music Museum to escape the crowds during the peak hours of midday and have a few minutes of quiet respite while enjoying the impressive collection.
One of Italy's most famous musicians, Vivaldi was born in Venice in the 17th century and wrote a number of the most recognized pieces of classical music in the world, including The Four Seasons. His work greatly influenced later composers like Bach.
- Things to do in Veneto
- Things to do in Treviso
- Things to do in Padua
- Things to do in Vicenza
- Things to do in Ferrara
- Things to do in Piran
- Things to do in Porec
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Milan
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Istria
- Things to do in Friuli-Venezia Giulia
- Church of Santa Maria del Giglio (Santa Maria Zobenigo)
- Church of San Vidal (Chiesa di San Vidal)
- La Fenice Opera House (Teatro La Fenice)
- Peggy Guggenheim Collection (Collezione Peggy Guggenheim)
- Accademia Bridge (Ponte dell'Accademia)
- Venice Santa Lucia Station (Stazione di Venezia Santa Lucia)
- Bovolo Staircase (Scala Contarini del Bovolo)
- Ca' Rezzonico
- Campo San Luca
- Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute
- San Gallo Theater (Teatro San Gallo)
- St. Mark's Clock Tower (Torre dell'Orologio)
- St. Mark's Square (Piazza San Marco)
- Hard Rock Cafe Venice