Puymartin Castle (Chateau de Puymartin)
Château de Puymartin was constructed around 1270, then rebuilt and expanded from the 15th century onward. Under the marquis of Carbonnier de Marzac in the 19th century, major changes occurred in the castle, and many of the furnishings there today come from the marquis and his descendants. Join a guided tour, or explore on your own. The castle is off the beaten path, so you may get the whole place to yourself.
Things to Know Before You Go
Château de Puymartin is a must-visit for history buffs and those interested in architecture or design.
The castle isn’t wheelchair-accessible.
How to Get There
The easiest way to get to Château de Puymartin is by car, as public transit is limited. Located in Marquay, in the Dordogne region of France, the castle is about a 2-and-a-half-hour drive from Toulouse. The nearest train station is in the medieval town of Sarlat-la-Canéda, about a 15-minute drive from the castle.
When to Get There
Château de Puymartin is open from the beginning of April through mid-November. Hours are limited in October and November—verify times before going. Candlelit visits take place on Tuesday nights.
The Legend of the White Woman
According to local lore, the castle is haunted by the White Woman, an aristocrat by the name of Thérèse de Saint-Clar, who lived in the 16th century. As the story goes, her husband caught her cheating, killed her lover, and locked her up in the castle until her death—and she hasn’t left since.
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Bordeaux
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Barcelona
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in San Sebastian
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Aix-en-Provence
- Things to do in Languedoc-Roussillon
- Things to do in Aquitaine
- Fronton Wine Region
- Happy Forest
- Toulouse-Lautrec Museum (Musée Toulouse-Lautrec)
- Albi Cathedral
- St. Sernin Basilica (Basilique Saint-Sernin)
- Place du Capitole
- Les Abattoirs Museum
- Garonne River
- Basilica of Our Lady of the Daurade (Notre-Dame de la Daurade)
- Museum of Augustins (Musée des Augustins)
- Pont Neuf
- Toulouse Cathedral (Cathedrale St-Etienne)
- Space City (Cite de l'Espace)