Swiss National Park (Parc Naziunal Svizzer)
Many travelers visit the Swiss National Park on a day trip from Zurich or Lucerne or on a scenic train tour or. Head to the park’s visitors center in Zernez first to view interactive displays about the park’s geology and ecosystem and get hiking information and maps of the park. Families with small children will enjoy the interpretive nature trail that begins at the Hotel Parc Naziunal Il Fuorn and experienced hikers will find many challenging mountain trails.
Things to Know Before You Go
- An admission fee is required to visit the Swiss National Park.
- Limited accommodations are available in the park and no camping is allowed.
- Weather can change quickly in the Swiss Alps, so always carry extra layers and rain gear.
- The hiking trails in the Swiss National Park are unsuitable for wheelchairs.
How to Get There
The Swiss National Park (Parc Naziunal Svizzer) is located in the corner of eastern Switzerland along the Italian border about 116 miles (186 kilometers) southeast of Zurich. The Swiss town of Zernez is the closest city to the park and Zernez is easily reached by train from most anywhere in Switzerland. Frequent buses run from Zernez into the park.
When to Get There
The Swiss National Park is only open to visitors from the end of May through mid-November. No hiking, skiing, and snowshoeing is allowed in the park during the winter months to prevent disturbance to wildlife. Trails in the park’s higher elevation are usually still covered with snow through late-June so visiting July and August will provide the most hiking opportunities.
Hiking Trails in the Swiss National Park The Swiss National Park has a total of 21 hiking routes with over 50 miles (80 kilometers) of trails. The Val Trupchun and Fuorn Valley trails are good choices for beginners and families. Macun Lakes is a challenging full-day hike and leads to a high plateau dotted with more than 20 emerald-colored alpine lakes and Munt la Schera offers some of the best views in the park.
- Things to do in Davos
- Things to do in Central Switzerland
- Things to do in Lombardy
- Things to do in Lake Geneva
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Lake Como
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Ferno
- Things to do in Montreux
- Things to do in Alsace
- Things to do in Rhône-Alpes
- Things to do in Piedmont & Liguria
- Things to do in Veneto
- Things to do in Burgundy
- Things to do in Emilia-Romagna