On a trip to the Gulf of Naples, you won’t want to miss the island of Capri. Reachable only by boat, if offers hidden caves, charming villages, and stunning ocean views. Here's what to know if you’re planning on a day trip to Capri from Sorrento.
Punta del Capo
(Roman ruins) Traversa Punta Capo, Sorrento, Campania
Punta del Capo is a popular destination for a half-day escape, with visitors typically spending a few hours here tanning, swimming, and admiring the views of the sapphire-blue and emerald-green waters. The Bagni Regina Giovanna is a rock-surrounded lagoon separated from the sea by a natural rocky arch and can be reached either on foot or by boat. Some kayaking excursions stop here, while some boat tours exploring the hidden coves of the Sorrento and Capri coastlines also come here.
Things to know before you go
- Punta del Capo is a must-do for sun worshippers.
- Wear sturdy footwear as you’ll encounter sharp rocks underfoot.
- Bring your camera; the sweeping views of the Gulf of Naples make an excellent backdrop for vacation photos.
How to get there
Punta del Capo is just a 15-minute drive west of Sorrento, along the SS145. It’s possible to walk from town—follow Via Capo—but note that part of the route is along a road with no sidewalks, so it’s safer to travel by taxi. Local buses connect Piazza Tasso to Capo di Sorrento.
When to get there
Punta del Capo is at its busiest on summer weekends. Come first thing in the morning to experience it at its quietest.
The Villa of Pollius Felix
Surrounding the rocky bathing area at Punta del Capo are the scant ruins of a Roman villa. It is believed that the villa may have belonged to a wealthy Roman by the name of Pollius Felix, whose magnificent seaside home was described in the writing of ancient poet Publius Papinius Statius. Though this is mere conjecture, the ruins are still commonly referred to as Pollius Felix’s villa.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Punta del Capo?
Attractions near Punta del Capo:
What else should I know about attractions in Sorrento?
- Via Capo
- Sorrento Foundation (Fondazione Sorrento)
- Baths of the Queen Giovanna (Bagni della Regina Giovanna)
- Tasso Theater (Teatro Tasso)
- Cloister of San Francesco (Chiostro di San Francesco)
- Sorrento St. Anthony Basilica (Basilica di Sant’Antonino)
- Piazza Tasso
- Correale di Terranova Museum (Museo Correale di Terranova)
- Mt. Faito (Monte Faito)
- Spaggia Grande Beach
- Marina Grande
- Emerald Grotto (Grotta dello Smeraldo)
- Coral Museum (Museo del Corallo)