Mozart Residence (Mozart-Wohnhaus)
Visitors to Mozart's Residence can explore the museum’s eight exhibition rooms, including family portraits, personal items, and musical instruments, as well as multimedia presentations and interactive displays. Most visitors opt to explore independently, but the museum is also a popular inclusion on Mozart tours of Salzburg, as well as a stop on Salzburg hop-on hop-off bus tours.
Recent reviews from experiences in Salzburg
Things to Know Before You Go
Audio guides are available in multiple languages and included in the entrance fee.
Entrance is included to holders of a Salzburg pass that combines entrance to multiple attractions onto one card.
Mozart’s Residence is wheelchair accessible, via the Theatergasse entrance.
How to Get to There
Mozart Residence is located on Makartplatz, on the north bank of the River Salzach in Salzburg’s historic center. The easiest way to get there is on foot, and it’s around a 10-minute walk from central attractions such as Salzburg Cathedral, across the Staats Bridge.
When to Get There
The Mozart Residence is open daily year–round. The busiest time to visit is during the peak summer months of July and August, when it can get crowded—opt for an early morning visit for the fewest crowds.
Mozart in Salzburg
The iconic composer is everywhere in Salzburg. Mozart’s face adorns postcards, souvenirs, and restaurant menus—you can even buy Mozart ice cream. After visiting Mozart Residence, fans can also tour Mozart’s Birthplace—now a museum that offers insight into his humble beginnings; pose for photos by Mozart Monument in Mozart Square; take a walking tour of the many sites associated with Mozart; or visit during the annual Mozart Week, hosted by Mozarteum Foundation. Another unforgettable experience is attending a Mozart concert, and there are options for orchestral recitals and dinner concerts held in intimate venues around the city.
- Things to do in Austrian Alps
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Bled
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Things to do in Bavaria
- Mirabell Palace and Gardens (Schloss Mirabell und Mirabellgarten)
- Salzburg Marionette Theater
- Mozart’s Birthplace (Mozarts Geburtshaus)
- Salzburg Museum of Natural History (Haus der Natur)
- Mönchsberg Lift (Mönchsbergaufzug)
- Toy Museum (Spielzeugmuseum)
- Museum of Modern Art Salzburg Mönchsberg (Museum der Moderne am Mönchsberg)
- Georg Trakl Memorial (Traklhouse)
- Large Festival Hall (Grosses Festspielhaus)
- Residenz Gallery (Residenzgalerie)
- Museum of Modern Art Salzburg Rupertinum (Museum der Moderne Rupertinum)
- Mozart Square (Mozartplatz)
- Salzburg Museum