Monte Carlo Casino (Casino de Monte-Carlo)
Home to roulette and blackjack tables, plus bars, restaurants, and an opera and ballet theater, Monte Carlo Casino is an entertainment supercenter. Charles Garnier, the architect behind the Paris Opera House, designed much of the building, which was completed in 1879. The gaming rooms each have different decor, from the opulent Salle Blanche, with its glittering glass bar and outdoor terrace, to the Salle Medecin, with its many oil paintings and gilt touches.
Equally impressive is the atrium lobby with inlaid floors and solid marble columns, and the ornate Salle Garnier theater that has hosted opera, ballet, and theater performances for more than 100 years. For many, a trip to the Monte Carlo Casino is a must, and the casino features in many guided tours of the area.
Recent reviews from experiences in Monaco
Things to Know Before You Go
Visitors must be 18 years old to enter the casino.
An entry fee is payable at the door.
Visitors must show a passport or accepted ID card to gain access.
The casino is wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
The Monte Carlo Casino is located in the Principality of Monaco, within the borders of France. The closest airport is Nice, 13 miles (21 kilometers) away. Regular tours make the journey to Monaco from surrounding areas and bus services travel between Monaco and towns along the Cote d’Azur in France. Trains from Marseille and Milan stop here.
When to Get There
The casino is open daily, from 2pm–4am. It is popular with tourists and visitors year-round and is usually busiest in the early afternoon and later in the evening.
Visit the Jardin Exotique
If you need to take a break from the glitz and glamour of the casino, take a trip to the Jardin Exotique, a cliff-side park with a huge collection of succulents, greenhouses filled with exotic plants, and a network of caves that visitors can explore. From the spooky caverns with their stalagmites and stalactites to the panoramic ocean views, there’s a lot to see and do.
- Things to do in Monte-Carlo
- Things to do in Monaco-Ville
- Things to do in Switzerland
- Things to do in Italy
- Things to do in Nice
- Things to do in Cannes
- Things to do in Langhe-Roero and Monferrato
- Things to do in Toulon
- Things to do in Genoa
- Things to do in French Riviera
- Things to do in Piedmont & Liguria
- Things to do in Provence
- Things to do in Rhône-Alpes
- Things to do in Lombardy
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Casino Square (Place du Casino)
- Opera de Monte-Carlo
- Japanese Garden (Le Jardin Japonais)
- Hercules Port (Port d'Hercule)
- Old Town of Monaco
- Larvotto Beach
- Oceanographic Museum (Musee Oceanographique)
- Prince's Palace (Palais Princier de Monaco)
- Cathédrale de Monaco (Monaco Cathedral)
- Monaco Naval Museum (Musée Naval de Monaco)
- Fontvieille Park and Princess Grace Rose Garden
- Monaco Top Cars Collection (Exhibition of HSH The Prince of Monaco's Vintage Car Collection)
- Exotic Garden of Monaco (Jardin Exotique de Monaco)
- Louis II Stadium (Stade Louis II)