Essential to any Malaga trip is a visit to Granada and its stunning Alhambra Palace, a UNESCO World Heritage site. Luckily, this stunning Andalucian city is just an easy day trip away. To help you find the right tour for you, here are your options.
Sacred Heart Church Málaga (Sagrado Corazón Málaga)
Tucked away down a tiny side street in the cramped alleyways of Málaga’s historic center, the Sacred Heart Church Málaga (Sagrado Corazón Málaga) was funded and built in Neo-Gothic style in 1920 by an order of Jesuits monks. Designed by revered local architect Fernando Guerrero Strachan — he was known as ‘the Gaudí of Málaga’ and the monumental city hall is also his work — the basilica has an eye-catching façade in soft biscuit stone, topped with two spires and covered in Gothic-style tracery. An ornate rose window sits above the spiky arches of the main doors.
The interior of the church is relatively plain, with three aisles lined with tiny chapels and all topped with soaring vaulted roofs. On either side of the massive Neo-Gothic main altar are paintings of the martyrs St Ignacio de Loyola and St Francisco de Borja, and the narrow stained-glass windows are by the renowned firm Mauméjean from Pau in France; they feature scenes from the lives of the saints.
Daily 7am–12pm, 6pm–7:30pm
Plaza de San Ignacio, Málaga, Andalucia, 29008
Admission is free, and open daily 7am–12pm, 6pm–7:30pm. For transportation, take EMT bus no 36 to Carretería on Plaza Nueva or walk through the pedestrianized streets of the old city.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Sacred Heart Church Málaga (Sagrado Corazón Málaga)?
What else should I know about attractions in Malaga?
- Things to do in Andalucia
- Things to do in Marbella
- Things to do in Benahavis
- Things to do in Granada
- Things to do in Tarifa
- Things to do in Cordoba
- Things to do in Tetouan
- Things to do in Seville
- Things to do in Tangier
- Things to do in Fez
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Alicante
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Costa del Sol
- Things to do in Northern Morocco
- Carmen Thyssen Museum (Museo Carmen Thyssen)
- Hammam Al Ándalus Málaga
- Constitution Square (Plaza de la Constitucion)
- MIMMA (Museo Interactivo de la Música)
- Peña Juan Breva Flamenco Art Museum (Museo de Arte Flamenco de la Peña Juan Breva)
- Revello de Toro Museum (Museo Revello de Toro)
- Malaga Cathedral (Cathedral de la Encarnación)
- Cervantes Theatre (Teatro Cervantes)
- Atarazanas Market
- Museo Picasso Málaga
- Malaga Park (Parque de Malaga)
- Museum of Glass and Crystal (Museo del Vidrio y Cristal)
- Marina Square (Plaza de la Marina)
- Plaza de la Merced
- Pablo Picasso Birthplace Museum (Museo Casa Natal de Picasso)