Essential to any Malaga trip is a visit to Granada and its stunning Alhambra Palace, a UNESCO World Heritage site. Luckily, this stunning Andalucian city is just an easy day trip away. To help you find the right tour for you, here are your options.
Museum Jorge Rando (Museo Jorge Rando)
Quite the new boy on Málaga’s art scene, the Museum Jorge Rando (Museo Jorge Rando) opened in 2015 in the former cloister of the Monasterio de las Mercedarias, which itself dates from the 1870s. Conversion from cloister to clever art space took five years and today the gallery doubles as a studio for local artists, a cultural center and a research facility as well as housing a permanent exhibition of the bold, fluid works of Expressionist painter Jorge Rando.
Born in Málaga in 1941, Rando’s vast canvasses are impressively displayed in four dazzling white galleries lit from above through skylights. Alongside his paintings, temporary exhibitions of work by other Expressionists, including sculpture by Ernst Barlach, change roughly every six months.
The museum’s small central courtyard offers sculpture displays and is dominated by an ancient orange tree, planted by the monastery’s founder in 1878, and a shocking-pink life-size figure of a pregnant woman. Along with free guided tours, the museum offers arty movies, lectures, and the chance to peek into the ateliers of artists working there. Saturday visitors should not miss the weekly concerts held at noon.
Calle Cruz del Molinillo, 12, Málaga, Andalucia
It is open Mon–Sat 10am–8pm, and admission is free along with free guided tours. For transportation, take EMT Bus Lines 1, 2, 26, 30, 36 and 6.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Museum Jorge Rando (Museo Jorge Rando)?
Attractions near Museum Jorge Rando (Museo Jorge Rando):
What else should I know about attractions in Malaga?
- Things to do in Andalucia
- Things to do in Marbella
- Things to do in Benahavis
- Things to do in Granada
- Things to do in Tarifa
- Things to do in Cordoba
- Things to do in Tetouan
- Things to do in Seville
- Things to do in Tangier
- Things to do in Fez
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Alicante
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Costa del Sol
- Things to do in Northern Morocco
- Museum of Glass and Crystal (Museo del Vidrio y Cristal)
- Cervantes Theatre (Teatro Cervantes)
- MIMMA (Museo Interactivo de la Música)
- Peña Juan Breva Flamenco Art Museum (Museo de Arte Flamenco de la Peña Juan Breva)
- Hammam Al Ándalus Málaga
- Sacred Heart Church Málaga (Sagrado Corazón Málaga)
- Carmen Thyssen Museum (Museo Carmen Thyssen)
- Constitution Square (Plaza de la Constitucion)
- Pablo Picasso Birthplace Museum (Museo Casa Natal de Picasso)
- Plaza de la Merced
- Revello de Toro Museum (Museo Revello de Toro)
- Museo Picasso Málaga
- Malaga Cathedral (Cathedral de la Encarnación)
- Atarazanas Market
- Basílica de Santa María de la Victoria