As one of Málaga’s best museums, Museo Picasso features on many sightseeing tours of the city, including guided day trips from Marbella. Those with a special interest in Pablo Picasso can opt for a private guided tour of the museum, which often includes a stop at the artist’s birthplace (Casa Natal), church, and school. Picasso’s first known painting is on display at the nearby Municipal Museum.
Recent reviews from experiences in Malaga
Things to Know Before You Go
The museum is a must-see for art lovers and history buffs.
Bring along a light jacket as the exhibition rooms are kept quite cool.
The museum is wheelchair accessible, and staff are available to help at the wheelchair access point.
Photography and cellphone usage are both prohibited inside the exhibition rooms of the museum.
How to Get There
The Museo Picasso Málaga sits in the city’s historic center near the Alcazaba and the Roman Theatre. It’s easily accessible on foot, but you can also take the public bus to stops at either Paseo del Parque (Ayuntamiento) or Plaza de la Merced.
When to Get There
The museum is open daily throughout the year, with extended hours during July and August. If you’re visiting during the summer tourist season, plan to arrive first thing in the morning to avoid the crowds.
Architecture and Archaeology
Palacio de Buenavista, the 16th-century building that houses the collection, features a mixture of Mudéjar and Renaissance elements. It was built atop the remains of what was believed to be a Nasrid Palace, where archaeological remains from Phoenician, Roman, and Moorish eras have been uncovered. Some of these remains are now a part of the museum’s permanent collection.
- Things to do in Andalucia
- Things to do in Marbella
- Things to do in Benahavis
- Things to do in Granada
- Things to do in Tarifa
- Things to do in Cordoba
- Things to do in Tetouan
- Things to do in Seville
- Things to do in Tangier
- Things to do in Fez
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Alicante
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Costa del Sol
- Things to do in Northern Morocco
- Málaga Roman Theatre (Teatro Romano de Málaga)
- Plaza de la Merced
- Malaga Cathedral (Cathedral de la Encarnación)
- Revello de Toro Museum (Museo Revello de Toro)
- Malaga Alcazaba
- Pablo Picasso Birthplace Museum (Museo Casa Natal de Picasso)
- Peña Juan Breva Flamenco Art Museum (Museo de Arte Flamenco de la Peña Juan Breva)
- Constitution Square (Plaza de la Constitucion)
- MIMMA (Museo Interactivo de la Música)
- Hammam Al Ándalus Málaga
- Cervantes Theatre (Teatro Cervantes)
- Carmen Thyssen Museum (Museo Carmen Thyssen)
- Sacred Heart Church Málaga (Sagrado Corazón Málaga)
- Malaga Park (Parque de Malaga)
- Palmeral de las Sorpresas