With three days in UNESCO-listed Lyon, you have plenty of time to experience the city’s history, cuisine, and surrounding vineyards. Cross the Saône and Rhône rivers, step into the cathedral, taste world-renowned wine, and more. Here’s how to make the most of 72 hours in Lyon.
Basilica of Notre-Dame de Fourvière (Basilique Notre-Dame de Fourvière)
8 Place de Fourvière, Lyon, 69005
The Basilica of Notre-Dame de Fourviere, named after the old Roman forum that once graced the site, was built using private funds in the late 19th century. The church venerates the Virgin Mary, who locals believe spared them from the bubonic plague that tore through Europe in the 1600s. The building’s design is a combination of Romanesque and Byzantine styles and features a bell tower topped with a statue of the Virgin Mary. The interior is decorated with intricate mosaics and impressive stained-glass windows. Illuminated every night, the basilica is a popular stop on nighttime tours of the city.
Things to know before you go
- Entry to the basilica is free of charge.
- The city of Lyon gives thanks to the Virgin Mary every year on December 8 with a Festival of Lights—a popular time to visit.
- The church holds an English-language mass at 9:30am on the first Sunday of the month.
- The basilica is wheelchair accessible.
- A museum explaining the history of the building and a souvenir shop are both located on-site.
How to get there
The basilica is located at 8 Place de Fourvière, Lyon 69005, France. Visitors can walk, ride an electric bike, or take the funicular railway from Vieux Lyon station to the top of the hill.
When to get there
The basilica is open daily from 7am–7pm, while the grounds are open later, until 9:30pm. Group visits are not permitted during mass.
Indulge Your Foodie Side in Lyon
With a host of restaurants, specialty produce shops, and the famous Paul Bocuse markets, Lyon is a popular destination for gastronomes. Many people choose to take a guided food tasting tour of the city to uncover the tastiest offerings, while others plan out a self-guided itinerary taking in wine bars, boulangeries, chic cafes, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Basilica of Notre-Dame de Fourvière (Basilique Notre-Dame de Fourvière)?
Attractions near Basilica of Notre-Dame de Fourvière (Basilique Notre-Dame de Fourvière):
What else should I know about attractions in Lyon?
- Ancient Theatre of Fourvière (Théâtre Antique de Lyon)
- Lyon Cathedral (Cathédrale St-Jean)
- Musée Miniature et Cinéma
- Old Lyon (Vieux Lyon)
- Lyon Palace of Justice (Palais de Justice Historique de Lyon)
- Célestins Theatre (Théâtre des Célestins)
- Lyon Museum of Fine Arts (Musée des Beaux Arts de Lyon)
- Bellecour Square (Place Bellecour)
- Lyon Opera House (Opéra National de Lyon)
- Lyon Les Halles Market (Les Halles Paul Bocuse)
- Tête d'Or Park (Parc de la Tête d'Or)
- Lyon Museum of Contemporary Art (Musée d'art Contemporain de Lyon)
- Lumière Institute (Institut Lumière)
- Resistance and Deportation History Centre (Centre d'Histoire de la Résistance et de la Déportation)