St. Beatus Caves (St. Beatus-Höhlen) Tours
Read MoreShow Less
Legend has it that in the 6th century, a dragon took shelter in these caves while the monk and hermit Beatus of Lungern was hunting him. The St. Beatus Caves (St. Beatus Hohlen), which sit next to the lakes of Interlaken, were formed over many centuries and are full of stunning stalagmites, stalactites, lakes, and waterfalls.
There are more than half a mile (1 kilometer) of well-lit walkways wending their way through the St. Beatus caves. The site also offers a small but informative museum that explains the caves’ history (and legends) and helps visitors better understand what they see underground.
You can visit the St. Beatus Caves on a half-day trip from Interlaken, or stop at the site on a hop-on hop-off boat tour of Lakes Thun and Brienz.
Things to Know Before You Go
- There are boardwalks throughout the caves, which make it an easy site to visit with children.
- An on-site restaurant offers great views of Lake Thun as well as snacks and full meals. (Reservations are required for dinner.)
- Explore the caves on your own, or join one of the 75-minute guided tours, which start approximately every 45 minutes.
- Photography is allowed inside the caves, but tripods are prohibited.
- The temperature inside the caves is quite cold (around 32 degrees F/ 9 degrees C), so bring a sweater or jacket.
- The caves are not suitable for wheelchairs or strollers.
How to Get There
The caves are about a 90-minute walk from Interlaken, on the eastern end of Lake Thun. You can also reach the site via a 30-minute bus or boat ride from Interlaken.
When to Get There
The caves are typically open from mid-morning until early evening, March through October, and are closed during the winter (November–March).
Take a Boat Ride on an Underground Lake
For a different kind of cave experience, check out Lac Souterrain de St-Leonard, the largest underground lake in Europe. Follow a guide down into the cavern, and take a short boat ride across crystal clear water, spotting trout and admiring the sparkling rocks around you. Guides offer information about the lake in French, German, and English.
Address: Interlaken, Canton of Bern, Switzerland
0 Tours and Activities to Experience St. Beatus Caves (St. Beatus-Höhlen)
No results found!
Things to do near Interlaken
- Things to do in Swiss Alps
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Montreux
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Basel
- Things to do in Lake Como
- Things to do in Ferno
- Things to do in Geneva
- Things to do in Davos
- Things to do in Annecy
- Things to do in Milan
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Strasbourg
- Things to do in Central Switzerland
- Things to do in Lake Geneva