Penthes Estate (Le Domaine du Château de Penthes)
Located in the town of Pregny-Chambesy outside of Geneva, Switzerland, the Penthes Estate (Le Domaine du Château de Penthes) is a luxurious property that is home to two museums: the Museum of the Swiss Abroad and the Geneva Military Museum. The property is set in the middle of the hilly Empress’ Park (named in honor of Josephine de Beauharnais, wife of Napoleon I) and offers excellent views of Lake Geneva and the Swiss Alps.
The Museum of the Swiss Abroad is devoted to showing the history of Swiss citizens who have affected the history of other countries, including artists, explorers, bankers, inventors and many others. The collection includes documents such as military patents and letters of dismissal, letters, journals, newspapers, photographs and stamps, as well as books, portrait, sculptures, uniforms, flags, medals and other personal belongings.
The Geneva Military Museum showcases weapons, uniforms and other papers from the Swiss military.
To reach the Chateau de Penthes from the Geneva train station, take TGV bus V in the direction of La Becassiere or TGV bus Z toward Bois-Chatton and get off at the Penthes stop. From the Geneva airport, take TPG bus 28 toward Jardin Botanique to the Appia stop and from there, catch either of the buses mentioned above.
The Museum of the Swiss Abroad is generally open Tuesday to Sunday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., although hours may vary by season. The Geneva Military Museum is open in February and March on Saturdays and Sundays from 2 to 5 p.m.; in April through December, on Wednesday to Friday, 2 to 5 p.m., Saturday, 2 to 6 p.m. and Sunday 10 a.m. to noon and 2 to 6 p.m. It is closed from late December to late January.
- Things to do in Lake Geneva
- Things to do in Annecy
- Things to do in Montreux
- Things to do in Lyon
- Things to do in Dijon
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Basel
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Ferno
- Things to do in Langhe-Roero and Monferrato
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Lake Como
- Things to do in Milan
- Things to do in Rhône-Alpes
- Things to do in Burgundy
- Palais des Nations
- International Red Cross and Red Crescent Museum
- Ariana Museum (Musée Ariana)
- Brunswick Monument
- Rousseau Island (Ile Rousseau)
- Geneva Water Fountains (Jet d’Eau)
- English Garden (Jardin Anglais)
- Flower Clock (Horloge Fleurie)
- Barbier-Mueller Museum (Musée Barbier-Mueller)
- Rath Museum (Musée Rath)
- Maison de Rousseau & de la Littérature (MRL)
- Tavel House (Maison Tavel)
- International Museum of the Reformation (Musée International de la Réforme)
- Geneva Old Town (Vieille Ville)
- Baur Foundation, Museum of Far Eastern Art