Geneva Contemporary Art Centre (Centre d'Art Contemporain Genève)
To enjoy an art-filled day in Geneva, travelers should visit the Geneva Contemporary Art Center, a space dedicated to the research and production of works of art. The center hosts numerous exhibitions and screenings, and since it shares space with three other notable art institutions, visitors see more of Geneva's art scene in less time.
The Geneva Contemporary Art Center (Centre d'Art Contemporain Genève) is not a traditional museum. It has no permanent collection, and instead, hosts numerous temporary exhibitions showcasing emerging and international artists. Visitors find an exhibition space, cinema, and library. After your visit to the art center, enjoy the galleries and cafés in the nearby Plainpalais neighborhood, or stop at Geneva's photography center (Centre de la Photographie Genève), which is located around the corner.
Things to know before you go
- Design, art, and architecture fans shouldn't miss the center's diverse exhibitions, ranging from dance and drawing to new media and sculpture.
- Find other arts institutions in the same building complex, including the Fonds d’Art Contemporain (Municipal Fund for Contemporary Art).
- The art center offers free entry to all visitors on the first Sunday of every month.
- Children under age 18 are admitted for free.
How to get there
The centrally-located art center is a 20-minute walk from the Old Town, and two blocks west of the Plaine de Plainpalais. You can also take public transportation. To arrive by tram, take the 12 or 15 trams to the Plainpalais stop. By bus, take the 2 or 19 bus to Musée d’ethnographie, or bus line 1 to École de Médecine. From there, it's a short walk to the art center, at Rue des Vieux-Grenadiers 10.
When to get there
The Geneva Contemporary Art Center is open Tuesday to Sunday, from 11am to 6pm. Plan to visit during the day to explore the exhibition space, or check the calendar to enjoy an evening screening. Film enthusiasts should plan to visit for the moving images biennial (Biennale de l’Image en Mouvement), featuring multimedia works, as well as films and documentaries.
Visiting the Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art (MAMCO)
To experience more art, you don't need to go far at all—the Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art (MAMCO) is situated in the same building as the Geneva Contemporary Art Center, and offers even more art exhibitions. Visit the museum to enjoy its 3,000-piece permanent collection, join for an artist talk, or stroll the galleries at your own pace. On Sundays, the museum offers free entry and English-language tours.
- Things to do in Lake Geneva
- Things to do in Annecy
- Things to do in Montreux
- Things to do in Lyon
- Things to do in Dijon
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Basel
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Ferno
- Things to do in Langhe-Roero and Monferrato
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Lake Como
- Things to do in Milan
- Things to do in Rhône-Alpes
- Things to do in Burgundy
- Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art (MAMCO)
- Patek Philippe Museum
- Geneva Ethnography Museum (Musée d'Ethnographie de Genève)
- Rath Museum (Musée Rath)
- Bastions Park (Parc des Bastions)
- Maison de Rousseau & de la Littérature (MRL)
- Barbier-Mueller Museum (Musée Barbier-Mueller)
- Tavel House (Maison Tavel)
- Geneva Old Town (Vieille Ville)
- St. Peter's Cathedral (Cathédrale St-Pierre)
- International Museum of the Reformation (Musée International de la Réforme)
- Geneva Museum of Art and History (Musée d'Art et d'Histoire de Genève)
- Baur Foundation, Museum of Far Eastern Art
- Rousseau Island (Ile Rousseau)
- Flower Clock (Horloge Fleurie)