St. Peter's Cathedral (Cathédrale St-Pierre)
The Cathédrale de St-Pierre is one of Geneva's major landmarks and a time capsule of religious history. It was built in the 12th century and was central to the Reformation in the 16th. Protestant reformer John Calvin preached inside. Today, visitors admire the cathedral on group tours, including citywide bus tours and Segway tours. Many regional tours pass the cathedral and may include a Lake Geneva cruise. To explore inside, it's best to visit independently.
Things to know before you go
- The Cathédrale de St-Pierre is a must-visit for history and architecture enthusiasts.
- Admission to the cathedral is free, but it's worth paying the small fee to climb the north tower and to visit the archaeological site below ground level.
- Hours change seasonally, with later hours held during the summer months.
How to get there
The cathedral is located in the Old Town (Vieille Ville), and can be easily reached on group tours and Segway tours, or on foot, after a short hike uphill. You can also find the cathedral by public transit. Take 12 tram to the Rive stop, and walk uphill, toward the cathedral's distinctive towers and spire. Alternatively, hop on the 36 bus to the Cathédrale stop, right outside the cathedral.
When to get there
The cathedral is open daily, with extended hours from June through September. Any time is great for a visit, though it's less crowded during the week, and you can expect more visitors over the holidays.
Visiting the International Museum of the Reformation
The International Museum of the Reformation tells the story of the 16th century Reformation movement in its artifact-packed exhibits. You find the Museum conveniently located on Cour Saint-Pierre, alongside the cathedral. The museum—which was once the site of the cathedral cloisters—is an ideal stop to learn more about Geneva's religious history in l’Espace Saint-Pierre.
- Things to do in Lake Geneva
- Things to do in Annecy
- Things to do in Montreux
- Things to do in Lyon
- Things to do in Dijon
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Basel
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Ferno
- Things to do in Langhe-Roero and Monferrato
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Lake Como
- Things to do in Milan
- Things to do in Rhône-Alpes
- Things to do in Burgundy
- Geneva Museum of Art and History (Musée d'Art et d'Histoire de Genève)
- International Museum of the Reformation (Musée International de la Réforme)
- Geneva Old Town (Vieille Ville)
- Tavel House (Maison Tavel)
- Maison de Rousseau & de la Littérature (MRL)
- Baur Foundation, Museum of Far Eastern Art
- Barbier-Mueller Museum (Musée Barbier-Mueller)
- Bastions Park (Parc des Bastions)
- Flower Clock (Horloge Fleurie)
- English Garden (Jardin Anglais)
- Rath Museum (Musée Rath)
- Rousseau Island (Ile Rousseau)
- Museum of Natural History (Muséum d'Histoire Naturelle de Suisse)
- Patek Philippe Museum
- Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art (MAMCO)