Many Bilbao city tours, whether on foot or by car, pass byPuppy, given its prime Guggenheim location. Take a minute to admire the vast sculpture—made from stainless steel and 25 tons of soil—before snapping a photo. Alternatively, visit thePuppy (modelled on a West Highland terrier) independently or as part of a Guggenheim-specific tour, ideal for art lovers who want a more in-depth insight into both the sculpture and the rest of the museum exhibits.
Things to Know Before You Go
Children are naturally drawn to the uniquePuppy sculpture.
Guggenheim Museum Bilbao'sPuppy can be viewed for free at the museum entrance.
The sinuous silver facade of the Guggenheim serves as the ideal backdrop for photos ofPuppy.
The sculpture is on pavement accessible to wheelchairs and strollers.
How to Get There
Jeff Koons’Puppy is situated directly outside the main entrance to the Guggenheim Museum. As such, most visitors find it easiest to arrive on foot, although this area is also well-connected by public transport. The closest metro station is Moyúa—take the Ercilla-Guggenheim exit.
When to Get There
Puppy can be visited throughout the year, although it’s best to see the sculpture in daylight to fully appreciate its colorful flowers. To get the best photos, visit in early morning when fewer people are around. Don’t worry about stopping by in winter—the flowers are designed to bloom whatever the season.
Outdoor Art in Bilbao
Puppy is one of the most instantly recognizable examples of outdoor art at the Guggenheim in Bilbao, but it’s not the only one. Head to the rear of the building to admire another Jeff Koons piece,Tulips, alongsideMamá, a giant bronze spider by French-American sculptor Louise Bourgeois. There, you also find Anish Kapoor’sTall Tree and theEye, as well as Fujiko Nakaya’sFog Sculpture, Yves Klein’sFire Fountain, and Daniel Buren’sArcos Rojos.
- Things to do in Basque Country
- Things to do in Santander
- Things to do in San Sebastian
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Bordeaux
- Things to do in Segovia
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Toledo
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in La Coruna
- Things to do in Nantes
- Things to do in Santiago de Compostela
- Things to do in Aquitaine
- Things to do in Castile and León
- Guggenheim Museum
- Bilbao Fine Arts Museum (Museo de Bellas Artes de Bilbao)
- Moyua Square (Plaza Moyúa)
- Zubizuri Bridge
- Doña Casilda Iturrizar Park
- Artxanda Funicular (Funicular de Artxanda)
- San Vicente Martír de Abando Church (Parroquia de San Vicente Martir de Abando)
- Euskalduna Palace (Palacio Euskalduna)
- Azkuna Zentroa
- River Maritime Museum (Museo Maritimo Ria)
- Arriaga Theatre (Teatro Arriaga)
- Casco Viejo
- Bilbao's Santiago Cathedral
- Bizkaia Museum of Archaeology
- Basque Museum (Museo Vasco de Bilbao)