St. Mary of the Sea Cathedral (Basilica de Santa Maria del Mar)
St. Mary of the Sea Cathedral is a prominent landmark in La Ribera and a regular stop on walking tours of this historic neighborhood. To appreciate some of the city’s finest art and architecture, combine a cathedral tour with a guided visit to the Picasso Museum, which is a short walk from the cathedral. Fans of Ildefonso Falcones’ novel The Cathedral of the Sea can tour locations featured in the book with a local guide.
Things to Know Before You Go
The cathedral is a must-visit for architecture buffs and spiritual travelers.
Remember to dress respectfully, with clothing covering shoulders and knees.
The ground floor areas of the cathedral are wheelchair-accessible.
How to Get There
The cathedral is located in El Born, Barcelona’s medieval district, within easy walking distance of just about anywhere in the Old City. To get there by public transportation, take the Barcelona Metro Line 4 to either the Jaume I or Barceloneta station.
When to Get There
The cathedral is open for cultural visits every afternoon. It’s also possible to duck in quietly during mass to soak up the atmosphere. Mass is held each evening, Sunday morning, and holidays. Try to time your visit to coincide with a choral performance to get a true feel for the acoustics.
FC Barcelona Logo
Football (soccer) fans visiting the cathedral should keep an eye out for a hidden tribute to the city’s beloved team. One of the stained-glass windows in the cathedral depicts the FC Barcelona crest. During the 1960s, the team helped finance the renovation of the window, and their crest was added as a sign of gratitude.
- Things to do in Catalonia
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Mallorca
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Ibiza
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Valencia
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Balearic Islands
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- El Born
- Barcelona La Ribera
- Picasso Museum (Museu Picasso)
- European Museum of Modern Art (MEAM)
- Ciutat Vella (Old Town)
- El Born Cultural and Memorial Centre (El Born Centre de Cultura i Memòria)
- Hash Marihuana & Hemp Museum
- Barcelona City History Museum (MUHBA)
- Temple of Augustus (Temple d'August)
- Chocolate Museum (Museu de la Xocolata)
- França Railway Station (Estació de França)
- Gothic Quarter (Barri Gotic)
- Barcelona City Hall (Casa de la Ciutat)
- St. James Square (Plaça de Sant Jaume)