Santa Caterina Market (Mercat de Santa Caterina)
Get a taste of local Spanish cuisine and local delicacies with a visit to Santa Caterina Market, where vendors hawk everything from fresh fruits and vegetables to olive oil and ham (jamón). Come to grab a quick snack, take a seat and enjoy a drink, or take a guided food tour through the tantalizing stalls. Most tours include an informative walk through the market plus a stroll around the nearby Gothic Quarter (Barri Gòtic) to visit top attractions such as the Barcelona Cathedral and the Picasso Museum.
Recent reviews from experiences in Barcelona
Things to Know Before You Go
The Santa Caterina Market is a must-visit for architecture and food lovers.
Book a tasting tour of Barcelona and experience some of the best food the city has to offer.
The market is accessible to wheelchair users.
How to Get There
The market is located in the La Ribera district, a short walk from many top Barcelona attractions, such as the Picasso Museum. Take the L4 metro line to Jaume I station or bus 17, 19, 40, or 45 to Santa Caterina Market.
When to Get There
Santa Caterina Market is open from 7:30am to 3:30pm on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday, and to 8:30pm on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. Get there early in the day to avoid long lines and to sample some of the freshest foods.
Barcelona’s First Covered Market
Since its opening in 1848, the Santa Caterina Market has been a covered market. After more than 150 years, the market underwent extensive renovations, designed by Benedetta Tagliabue and Enric Miralles, including a brand-new roof with more than 325,000 ceramic tiles in more than 60 colors, representing the various fruits and vegetables sold inside. The original facade of the Catalan market remains to keep with tradition.
- Things to do in Catalonia
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Mallorca
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Ibiza
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Valencia
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Balearic Islands
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- Frederic Mares Museum (Museu Frederic Mares)
- European Museum of Modern Art (MEAM)
- Barcelona Cathedral (Catedral de Barcelona)
- Barcelona City History Museum (MUHBA)
- House of Silk (La Casa de la Seda)
- Palace of Catalan Music (Palau de la Música Catalana)
- Picasso Museum (Museu Picasso)
- Barcelona La Ribera
- Temple of Augustus (Temple d'August)
- Chocolate Museum (Museu de la Xocolata)
- St. James Square (Plaça de Sant Jaume)
- Els Quatre Gats
- Placa de Sant Felip Neri
- Catalan Regional Government Building (Palau de la Generalitat de Catalunya)