Located in a corner of the Old City (Ciutat Vella), El Born is a perfect place to skirt the crowded areas of the Gothic Quarter yet still experience the heart of Barcelona. Its narrow streets and historic squares are home to many sights, such as the Picasso Museum (Museu Picasso), Ciutadella Park (Parc de la Ciutadella), the Palace of Catalan Music (Palau de la Música Catalana), and the medieval street Passeig del Born.
Most walking tours of Barcelona’s highlights that include El Born focus on the food, wine, arts, and hidden gems that are so prevalent here. You can pick a themed tour such as photography, Picasso, or flamenco; alternatively, cover more in less time with a bike or e-bike tour of the city.
Recent reviews from experiences in Barcelona
Things to Know Before You Go
El Born is a must for first-time visitors to Barcelona, foodies, and anyone who wants to get a taste of local life.
Book a skip-the-line-tour to avoid long waits at the popular Picasso Museum.
Wear comfortable shoes, as the best way to discover the treasures of El Born is on foot.
The fashionable Passeig del Born features shops, restaurants, cafés, and the 14th-century Basilica of Santa Maria del Mar (Basílica de Santa Maria del Mar).
How to Get There
El Born lies within Barcelona’s Old City. The L4 metro line runs through El Born; get off at the Jaume I or Barceloneta station. If arriving by regional train, get off at the Estació de França train station, which is right in the thick of it all.
When to Get There
El Born and Barcelona are very crowded in summer. The shoulder months of May, June, and September generally have good weather and fewer visitors. Winter is chilly but offers many crisp, clear days that are perfect for exploring the city with almost no tourists.
Visit Barcelona Like a Local
If you have been to Barcelona before and want to see if from a unique perspective, or if you simply want to explore the city like a Barcelonian, make El Born your home away from home. With its proximity to the beach and the large Ciutadella Park, El Born has the perfect mix of relaxing outdoor spaces, tasty eateries, trendy shops, and hip hotels all within a 20-minute-walk radius.
- Things to do in Catalonia
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Mallorca
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Ibiza
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Valencia
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Balearic Islands
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- St. Mary of the Sea Cathedral (Basilica de Santa Maria del Mar)
- Barcelona La Ribera
- Picasso Museum (Museu Picasso)
- El Born Cultural and Memorial Centre (El Born Centre de Cultura i Memòria)
- European Museum of Modern Art (MEAM)
- Chocolate Museum (Museu de la Xocolata)
- França Railway Station (Estació de França)
- Barcelona Zoo
- Ciutat Vella (Old Town)
- Barcelona City History Museum (MUHBA)
- Hash Marihuana & Hemp Museum
- Santa Caterina Market (Mercat de Santa Caterina)
- Temple of Augustus (Temple d'August)
- History Museum of Catalonia (Museu d'Historia de Catalunya)