While Provence is more a state of mind than a place – you can't actually point to Provence on a map – the hilltop village of Roussillon is exactly what visitors think of when they say they want to visit Provence. Picturesque, compact, colorful and with astounding views of the countryside, this village in the Vaucluse couldn't be more charmingly Provençal if it tried.
The almost candy-like colors of the buildings come from the surrounding earth; Roussillon lies on one of the largest ocre deposits in the world and has prehistoric origins. After a stroll around the village, take the Giants' Causeway (Sentier des Ocres), a cliffside trail loop that features the bright orange sands and plenty of forest to explore.
Tours and tickets to Experience Roussillon
Should I book Roussillon tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Roussillon 2021?
What's the best way to experience Roussillon?
- Luberon Villages Day Trip from Aix-en-Provence
- Luberon Villages Half-Day Tour from Aix-en-Provence
- Private Day Tour of the Villages of Provence
- Provence Wineries and Luberon Villages Day Trip from Aix-en-Provence
Things to do near Avignon
- Things to do in Provence
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Marignane
- Things to do in Aix-en-Provence
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Toulon
- Things to do in Fréjus Saint-Raphaël
- Things to do in Cannes
- Things to do in Nice
- Things to do in Lyon
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Languedoc-Roussillon
- Things to do in French Riviera